Kevin P. Merchant joined the firm in 1996. His practice areas include Admiralty & Maritime, Business/Commercial, Personal Injury Defense, Property Damage Defense, Contractual Claims and General Liability. Prior to entering the practice of law, Mr. Merchant was a commercial lender for various financial institutions in the Lafayette area, which provides him with a unique business perspective in efficiently handling matters for his clients. He recognizes the importance of timely communication with his clients and prides himself on his availability and accessibility. His clients include insurance companies, oil and gas operators, and oil and gas service companies. As part of his practice, Mr. Merchant represents clients in multi-party litigation which include well blowouts, oil and gas operations, and claims for contractual defense, indemnity and additional insured status, as well as other contractual claims. He regularly evaluates and analyzes contracts, including the applicability of the Louisiana Oilfield Anti-Indemnity Act and 33 U.S.C. section 905(b), and has provided seminars to claims handlers addressing these issues. As a result of his hard work, Mr. Merchant has been selected for inclusion in the 2013 -2016 editions of Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Transportation/Maritime, and the 2014 and 2015 editions of Acadiana Profile as one of the best lawyers in Acadiana in the area of Admiralty and Maritime Law.
- Louisiana Tech University, Bachelor of Science in Finances, 1987
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Juris Doctor, 1996
- Lafayette Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- John M. Duhe, Jr., American Inn of Court
- Former Board Member, American Inn of Court of Acadiana
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rated Lawyer of Distinguished 4.4 out of 5 as of 2014
- Listed in the 2013 – 2016 editions of Louisiana Super Lawyers in the area of Transportation/Maritime
- Listed in the 2014 – 2015 editions of Acadiana Profile as on of the best lawyers in Acadiana in the area of Admiralty and Maritime Law
Mr. Merchant has been married to Katy Merchant for over 20 years; they have two children. His hobbies include fitness, skiing, following college football and all recreational sports. Most of his time outside the office is spent with his family and he is actively involved with his children’s activities.