Phillip M. Smith joined the firm in 2016. His practice is focused primarily on maritime law and personal-injury litigation, and he regularly represents clients in Jones Act cases, oil and gas casualties, vessel collisions/allisions, property damage claims, construction litigation, insurance defense, products liability, and employment matters. Mr. Smith is committed to providing service to his community through his activism in legal organizations, such as the Lafayette Volunteer Lawyers program, where he provides free legal service to victims of domestic abuse. He also serves as a volunteer coach for the LSU Law Admiralty Moot Court External Team.
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, summa cum laude, 2012
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law, magna cum laude, 2016
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Admiralty Law Section
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- American Bar Association
- Lafayette Bar Association, Young Lawyers Section
- American Inn of Court of Acadiana
- Order of the Coif, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
- Executive Senior Editor, Louisiana Law Review, Vol. 76
- Publication: A Watery Grave for Unseaworthiness Punitive Damages: McBride v. Estis Well Service, L.L.C., 76 La. L. Rev. 619 (2015).
- Moot Court Board, 2014-2016, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
- 2015 and 2016 John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court National Champion
- Tullis Moot Court Competition, Finalist, 2014
- CALI Awards: Admiralty, Evidence
- Outstanding Graduate, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Department of Political Science
- Lafayette Bar Foundation Top Protective Order Award (2017-2019)
- Lafayette Volunteer Lawyers Outstanding Attorney Award (2017-2020)
- Susan C. Kalinka Award for LSU Law Advocacy Programs Coach of the Year (2018)
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel, Frank L. Maraist Award, Finalist (2018)
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Pro Bono Publico Award (2019)
Mr. Smith was born and raised in New Iberia, Louisiana. He has been married to Morgan James Smith since 2014. Outside of work, Mr. Smith enjoys spending time with family and friends, running, golf, and supporting Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns athletics.