Phillip M. Smith joined the firm in 2016. His practice areas include Admiralty and Maritime, Business/Commercial Litigation, Employment/Labor Law, General Litigation, and Appeals. Mr. Smith is committed to providing service to his community through his activism in legal organizations, such as the Lafayette Volunteer Lawyers program, where he provides free legal service to victims of domestic abuse. He also serves as a volunteer coach for the LSU Law Admiralty Moot Court External Team.
- University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, summa cum laude, 2012
- Louisiana State University, Paul M. Hebert Law Center, Juris Doctor and Graduate Diploma in Comparative Law, magna cum laude, 2016
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association, Admiralty Law Section
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel
- Lafayette Bar Association
- Lafayette Young Lawyers Association, Committee Member
- American Inn of Court of Acadiana
- Order of the Coif, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
- Executive Senior Editor, Louisiana Law Review, Vol. 76
- Publication: A Watery Grave for Unseaworthiness Punitive Damages: McBride v. Estis Well Service, L.L.C., 76 La. L. Rev. 619 (2015).
- Moot Court Board, 2014-2016, LSU Paul M. Hebert Law Center
- 2015 John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition: National Champion, Maritime Law Association of the United States Award for Best Brief in the Competition, and Best Oral Advocate in the Championship Round
- 2016 John R. Brown Admiralty Moot Court Competition: National Champion, Best Respondent’s Brief, and Best Oral Advocate in the Championship Round
- Tullis Moot Court Competition, Finalist, 2014
- CALI Awards: Admiralty, Evidence
- Outstanding Graduate, University of Louisiana at Lafayette, Department of Political Science
Mr. Smith was born and raised in New Iberia, Louisiana. He has been married to Morgan James Smith since 2014. Outside of work, Mr. Smith enjoys spending time with family and friends, running, golf, and supporting Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns athletics.